Frequently Asked Garage Door & Opener Questions
Garage Door Questions
What are the standard sizes of Overhead Door’s residential garage doors?
Standard sizes are whole width increments starting at 8' wide and going to 20' wide. Some door series have sizes smaller than that. Standard heights are 7' and 8' tall. Odd-heights and odd-widths are also available and vary by individual door series.
Can my garage door be painted?
Overhead Door’s steel garage doors for residential and commercial applications can be painted in the color of your choosing, with 100-percent acrylic latex paint. Some doors can also be powder coated, and we offer 197 powder coat colors to best complement the look of your home or your facility.
Can I replace a section of my door, or do I need to replace the whole door?
Depending upon the damage involved to the garage door system, replacing only a section of your garage door is possible in some cases. Contact us for an estimate on your repairs.
What is R-value, and how does it benefit me?
R-value is a standardized measurement of thermal efficiency. The higher the R-value, the greater the garage door’s insulating properties. Overhead Door manufactures insulated garage doors for residential and commercial applications, with a broad range of R-values designed to meet your needs. Our Thermacore® doors offer the highest R-values up to 17.5.
How much does a garage door system cost?
Our products are available exclusively through a nationwide network of Overhead Door Ribbon® Distributors. That means the answer to this garage door question varies. A wide range of factors, including regional conditions, influence prices of new garage door systems.
What maintenance does my garage door require?
Our garage door systems are built for long-lasting performance and daily use, but we recommend inspecting your garage door annually. The Overhead Door Company of Savannah can give you a thorough evaluation and perform routine maintenance, as needed. Check out our Preventative Maintenance Program for both residential and commercial garage doors.
I have a low ceiling in my garage. Will a garage door and opener work in this space?
Yes. A residential garage door requires a minimum of 4 1/2” of headroom space. Your garage door system may need a low-headroom track system or a low-headroom-torsion rear-track system. For a garage door opener, you will need slightly more headroom (about 6 1/2” minimum).
Can my non-insulated door be insulated?
Yes, The Overhead Door Company of Savannah has insulation kits available for installation on non-insulated garage doors.
What garage door best complements my home’s architecture?
This is a common question when it comes to choosing a garage door. Overhead Door offers many designs, with a number of options to further customize your garage door.
- For a contemporary look to set your home apart, our Modern Aluminum Collection features garage doors that combine glass and aluminum for unparalleled visual style, strength and light infiltration. It’s a unique solution for your extraordinary home.
- To transform the look of your home, choose a beautiful, custom-crafted wood door. Fine woods and precision craftsmanship make the doors in our Signature™ Carriage Collection architectural works of art. Browse 21 standard designs, available in semi-custom or custom styles. You can also design your own door to match your home’s architectural style. Optional decorative hardware adds the finishing touch.
- For the beauty of wood and the durability of steel, our Courtyard Collection® combines the classic look of a carriage-house door with the value of insulated steel. These doors come in your choice of 18 different designs (with or without windows) and six colors. Or they can be painted to match your home’s color scheme (frames, trim and overlays are white).
- Our Thermacore® doors feature wood-grain embossments to enhance the appearance of your door. Choose standard-raised or woodgrain-textured flush panels in six different colors.
- Our traditional steel garage doors of simulated woodgrain embossments enhance the appearance of your door. Choose from classic, raised panels or contemporary, ranch panels (some models). All doors can be painted to match your home’s décor.
What residential garage door suits my lifestyle?
- Our Modern Aluminum Collection showcases wide, heavy-duty frames and an extensive assortment of frame finishes for doors sizes up to 26’ 2”. Commercial-grade, aluminum frames are low maintenance and corrosion resistant.
- The Courtyard Collection® features our patented, CFC-free Thermacore®construction (steel-polyurethane-steel) and between-section thermal seals for resistance to the elements. Woodgrain-textured trim boards are thick and dent resistant to withstand the demands of family life and the stress of daily use.
What garage door works best in my climate?
- If your garage will be subjected to extreme temperatures, hot or cold, consider a well-insulated Thermacore® door to ensure your maximum comfort. The higher a door’s R-value, the greater its insulating properties. And Thermacore® doors offer R-values up to 17.5. This is made possible by a continuous layer of foamed-in-place polyurethane insulation sandwiched between two layers of rust- and corrosion-resistant steel. These doors also feature between-section seals that provide added resistance to air infiltration, as well as bulb-type bottom seals that guard against wind and rain. Choose from raised or flush panels, or you may combine the energy efficiency of Thermacore® with the carriage-house styling of Courtyard Collection® doors.
- If you live in a coastal region or area with special wind codes and regulations, Overhead Door also offers a variety of heavy-duty, wind-load doors built to withstand hurricane-force pressures. We customize our doors to meet or exceed any state or county wind-load code. Ask an Overhead Door Red Ribbon® Distributorfor more details about choosing a garage door in your area.
What residential garage door is the longest lasting?
Overhead Door takes great pride in manufacturing residential products that work every day and last for life. We stand behind our work. To prove it, many of our residential garage doors automatically come with a warranty that protects against rust-through for as long as you own your home. And to demonstrate our commitment to customer satisfaction, high standards and quality workmanship, all Overhead Door garage doors include a one-year, non-transferable, limited warranty (see warranty for full details). Contact us for additional details and hassle-free maintenance, repairs and service.
How can I see how a new garage door would look on my house before I purchase?
Please ask us about using DoorView™ — a visualization tool that allows you to see our doors on a picture of your house—to help you make the best selection. To see how DoorView works, please check out the online version of DoorView that features a choice of several stock house photos.
Garage Door Opener Questions
How do I choose a residential garage door opener that completes my door system?
Overhead Door features a comprehensive list of residential garage door openers and opener accessories that work with your garage door, giving you a complete system designed for practical applications and durable, daily use. After choosing a garage door, please see our list of residential garage door openers and accessories that work best with the door you select. If you need help choosing a garage door, try our DoorView™ design tool today.
What is the difference between the Screw, Belt and Chain drive garage door openers?
- Screw Drive—powerful, fast and quiet. Maximum power for heavy doors.
- Belt Drive—quiet and smooth performance. Ideal for garages adjacent to living areas.
- Chain Drive—rugged and reliable. Suitable for most garage doors.
What is DC Motor Technology that is featured in some of Overhead Door openers?
DC motor operates with variable speed for soft start and stop, smooth operation and less wear and tear on your garage door.
How can I get a new remote control for my opener?
The Overhead Door Company of Savannah can provide you with a broad range of garage door opener and opener accessories, from remote controls to wireless keypads. You first need to determine if your opener is a newer model with CodeDodger® or an older model without CodeDodger®. If your opener was manufactured before 1980, then you have an analog-type opener for which we no longer carry remotes. If that is the case, your system has to be upgraded with a new receiver kit for a new remote control to work with it. For additional garage door opener help or to purchase a new receiver kit, contact us.
Do you have instructions for programming my wireless keypad?
View on-line: wireless keypad instructions
How can I program a garage door opener to work with my HomeLink® system?
To program the HomeLink® transceiver, some vehicles may require the ignition to be turned on or the vehicle to be running. For additional garage door opener help, view the HomeLink® programming instructions.
What are Series I and Series II electronics for wall consoles and buttons?
Overhead Door integrates different technology into its openers and wall consoles. The technologies are known as Series I and II. Series II is backwards compatible to Series I.
My opener came with a Series I wall button. Can I install and use a Series II wall console with this opener?
No, you need a Series II wall console to install with a Series II opener.
My opener has a Series II wall console. Can I use more than one wall console with my opener?
No, you can install only one Series II wall console per opener; however, you are able to use a Series I wall button as second device.